Thursday, February 10, 2011

OneBody Charlotte: "that they may be one, even as we are one"

John 17:9 I am praying for them. I am not praying for the world but for those whom you have given me, for they are yours. 10 All mine are yours, and yours are mine, and I am glorified in them. 11 And I am no longer in the world, but they are in the world, and I am coming to you. Holy Father, keep them in your name, which you have given me, that they may be one, even as we are one.


John 17: 20 “I do not ask for these only, but also for those who will believe in me through their word, 21 that they may all be one, just as you, Father, are in me, and I in you, that they also may be in us, so that the world may believe that you have sent me. 22 The glory that you have given me I have given to them, that they may be one even as we are one, 23 I in them and you in me, that they may become perfectly one, so that the world may know that you sent me and loved them even as you loved me.



Just how seriously do we take Jesus' prayer in John 17?
I will confess that the answer for me for many years has been "not very".

Now, by His grace, I have a new and growing passion to see a manifestation of the oneness of Christ's body, the Church.

In response to Jesus' prayer and His Sovereign initiative, we are inviting our brothers and sisters to come together to BE the Church, a growing citywide expression of the Kingdom of God. I hope to see many of you in the coming months as we gather to our Resurrected Lord Jesus.


OneBody Charlotte


What is it?


OneBody Charlotte is an emerging citywide 'wineskin' for the church of Charlotte, NC . It is an event, and a process.

The Event
The event is a gathering for all followers of Jesus in greater Charlotte who are looking for the fulfilment of his prayer that "they all may be one" (Jn 17).

God is calling His people to embrace true kingdom values and to be the church, the true ecclesia, the one church of the city that is modeled for us in the New Testament.

One aspect of this is citywide gatherings around the person of Jesus.

They are a platform for apostolic teaching and for prophetic understanding of the reformational shifts currently occurring in the global church. Everyone is welcome.

Where?
Briar Creek Baptist Church at 1451 Briar Creek Road in Charlotte.
When?
Saturday March 5th at 6pm



The Process
OneBody Charlotte is designed to catalyse a re-forming of the body of Christ across a whole city so that "they all may be one". However, for this to occur a revolution must come.

The church of the city is not just an aggregate of existing local churches. It is a re-shaping of mindsets, values, and structures to make way for a new post-denominational kingdom wineskin.
This is a war for the centrality of Christ in his church and the whole of creation.

The process is catholic in the true sense of the word but not ecumenical in the sense of organizing unity through existing church structures.
The Holy Spirit connects people relationally. One expression of this is through 'apostolic' missional teams functioning through flat relational leadership. They will possess the DNA for multiplication and mission.



No comments: